Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A bit of culture...

Beading is a traditional Dene craft, and there are beautiful examples of handiwork all over the NWT.  Below is a picture of the moccasins that my cousin's mother-in-law made for my aunt in commemoration of my cousin's wedding.


I have been wanting to try it since I got here and tonight I had the opportunity to participate in a small workshop.  Our instructor was a woman from the DehCho (Providence)...  its quite a lot of work, so no,  I didn't come away with a pair of mocassins, or even a card holder... but I did make a little Santa that I will turn into a brooch.   It probably took about an hour per Santa for each of us starting out... so maybe a card holder next.  

Some pics from our evening:



If you would like to see some other examples, here is a link to an on-line store operated by the Tlicho (near Yellowknife) where you can will find lots of great beading handiwork.

http://www.tlicho.ca/tlicho_onlinestore/catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment